With the arrival of a New Year, 2019 has kick started many of us to feel motivated, determined and on a mission to achieve the goals that we have set for ourselves.
Over the Christmas period we almost go into a state of slumber. We eat lots, we drink lots, and many of us wind down from work and take a well deserved break. We adopt the attitude that when the New Year arrives we’ll start to get back on track and get back to being our healthy, hard working selves. It’s almost like being a little mischievous and rebelling against all the things we have told ourselves we can’t have or shouldn’t do for the last 12 months.
Now don’t get me wrong it’s great to completely switch off, knowing that in a few days time you have (or will find) the willpower and drive to get back into the swing of things. Most of us want to take on additional challenges too and we feel the urge to get out that notepad and start writing that list of goals to achieve. It’s also common that we reflect on those goals we set ourselves this time last year. What we achieved and what we didn’t. Do we feel bad about the items on our list that we didn’t check off?
When it comes to setting goals it requires some careful thinking. In order to avoid your goal list for the end of 2019, still having many items un-checked, we need to make sure what we set out to do is achievable.
Here are my super six goal setting tips, that will help you create your most amazing and achievable year yet:
1. Don’t set too many goals! You’ll become overwhelmed and result in achieving perhaps a few. Instead focus on a few big ‘end goals’ and break them down into ‘mini goals’ to help you achieve them.
2. Be realistic. You may want to earn £100,000 in 6 months, but if you don’t have a product to sell or service to offer you’ll find yourself being a little disappointed.
3. Set timescales and deadlines. It’s common knowledge that when you have a timescale or deadline to meet, you put your mind to it. Remember to make sure it’s realistic.
4. Review your progress. This falls in line with setting timescales and deadlines. If you apply milestones to your goals, you’ll be able to monitor your progress and also give yourself some recognition for your achievements.
5. Don’t let others set your goals for you. Only you know in your heart of hearts what you want to achieve. Be honest with yourself and take yourself in the direction of your dreams. Input from family and friends is valuable, however, don’t be clouded by what other people think. Be honest, be realistic, and be successful.
6. Learn from what didn’t work. Review your previous goals and analyse what didn’t work and why. Where you too ambitious? Did you set your standards too high? Apply what you have learnt and avoid making the same mistakes. Failure is of course the First Attempt In Learning!
Are you ready to review your goal list if you already have it to hand? Maybe you’ve not put pen to paper yet? Now is the time to get things moving in the right direction and make 2019 the most successful, amazing year for you.
Whether the items on your list are personal or business related, you can do it!
Set your mind to it, make things achievable and by this time next year you will ‘wow’ yourself with how successful you have been!
Whilst running your own business you can forget those little things that keep it ticking over. Sign up for your 5 minute challenge by email for 21 days. Where you can take action daily – for just 5 minutes – or multiples thereof, to build disciplines and take control.